Request was submitted by Gawie le Roux
A decision was taken to not renew the Alfresco license for the university’s current Enterprise Content Management (ECM) Solution (Share), which was due for renewal on the 1st of August 2015. The license, in essence, entitled us to software support and upgrades.
This decision was guided by the following:
Alfresco has terminated official support of the version that we are currently running (Ver. 3.3.3) since December 2014.
Due to the level of customisation done on Share, an upgrade would be complex, requiring more resources than a straightforward upgrade.
The support from i-Kno, the original implementation partner, has been negatively affected with key support resources who left i-Kno’s employment.
Lack of internal IT resources to adequately support Alfresco as open source software.
There has not been an uptake of Alfresco Enterprise by other SA universities to strengthen the local user community.
The cost of licensing has risen considerably in recent years.
In view of the above, the university need to implement a new ECM platform to replace the existing Alfresco solution and to fulfill current and new requirements posed by users, processes and regulations. In addition, current investigations by Operations & Infrastructure to identify user file sharing solutions (like FileCloud and OwnCloud) should also be considered as part of the university’s combined ECM offering. It is therefore requested that a project be registered to find a new IT platform for the university’s ECM (including Records Management) needs and requirements.
Oct 19 2016
Oct 31 2017
Overall Project Completion
1. Project kick-off Complete 100% Tasks 2 / 2
- Constitute the project team
- Project kick-off meeting
2. Investigation &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp; evaluation Complete 70% Tasks 3 / 5
- Determine functional requirements of DM and RM at the NWU
- Identify available IT solutions to address functional requirements
- Determine evaluation metrics (what) and methods (how)
- Evaluate short listed IT solutions
- Decide on a new DM and RM solution and identify service provider(s)
3. Planning Complete 0% Tasks 0 / 4
- Produce a preliminary implementation and migration plan with estimated costing and timelines for management approval
- Obtain management approval
- Finalise the implementation and migration plans, including success metrics and methods
- Finalise the costing schedule and commit budget for it
4. Implementation Complete 0% Tasks 0 / 5
- Execute the implementation plan
- Execute the migration plan
- Determine success through predefined metrics and methods and address oustanding issues
- Develop a maintenance plan
- Execute the maintenance plan
5. Project closure Complete 0% Tasks 0 / 4
- Finalise agreements, incl. SLAs and support contracts
- Project debriefing meeting (post mortem)
- Finalise project documentation and admin
- Produce a final project report