The request was initiated by Mari Prinsloo
The access Alignment project is underway (due date is Oct 2015). To implement the functionality has a high risk on the VV infrastructure, and involves the roll out of VV on the other campuses. The infrastructure has to be reviewed.
No documents at this time.
Jun 01 2015
Feb 29 2016
Overall Project Completion
1. Phase 1 - Analysis and Gaps Complete 100% Tasks 0 / 0
This phase encapsulates the joint efforts by BSS and OI to analyze the current architecture and identify the potentials areas that need to be addressed / improved.
Based on the feedback of this phase a pathway for upgrades will be identified and the required priorities will also be assigned to each area in accordance with the value add it has to the business of NWU
2. Phase 2 - NWU Vending / SAS DB Environment Upgrade Complete 100% Tasks 8 / 8
The analysis phase identified the existing SQL Database environment for NWU Vending / SAS as a key strategic area to upgrade. The environment has been running on outdated hardware and technology for a while.
On top of this the decision was made that we would like to do away with the clustered environment to simplify the architecture as a whole and remove the complexity of supporting this environment on both the BSS and OI side.
The following path / work tasks were identified:
- Creation of a new SQL DB VM environment in the existing ESXi Cluster which will include a number of assumed upgrades (better storage technology, improved memory, improved processing, improved storage capacity)
- Configuration of newly created environment to match that of the current PROD environment
- Configuration of reporting services to match that of the current PROD environment
- Configuration of all DNS entries, firewall exception, hostnames, integrations and other systems that form part of the NWU / VV SAS eco-system
- Database clean-up (users, retired DB jobs etc.)
- End-to-end testing of the new environment to ensure all the functionality currently available is working
- Swopover from old environment to new environment
- TLC and monitoring of new environment
- Creation of new SQL DB VM environment in existing ESXi Cluster
- Configuration of new environment to match PROD
- Configuration of reporting services to match PROD
- External configurations of new environment
- Database clean-up
- End-to-end and UAT testing
- Live swopover to new environment
- TLC and monitoring