The request was initiated by Mariana Strydom on 30 Jan 2018.
Project Online temporary Appointment
|Document Revision History|
Table of Contents:
- Document Control 1
- Project Description. 1
- Main system Functionality. 2
- The Network description. 2
- The people description. 2
- The time description. 3
- The motivation description. 3
- Below are the two elements of the Strategy that are aligned to the request. 3
- NWU has approximately +- 7 500 employees (permanent, fixed term and temporary staff). NWU has Oracle Core system (OHRS) that include HR and Payroll. Currently HR and Payroll functions are centralized and all permanent and temporary appointment functions are performed centrally by the People and Culture: Operations Team. Before the implementation of the new NWU structure. The inputs was previously performed by 10 employees which, in the new structure had been reduced to 5 employees responsible for inputs.
- The ZA localization does not cater for multiple assignments. Multiple assignments are not catered for on as standard oracle functionality. NWU P&C department experience a lot of problems and frustration with the system. Part time employees can be appointed in a variety of roles and against different cost centres and/or OE codes simultaneously. It is a SARS requirement to furnish a consolidated tax certificate irrespective of possible multitude of appointments.
- To implement the People and Culture structure according to the new NWU structure a system is required where temporary- and claim appointments can be decentralised to the Faculties/Departments.
The aim is to empower Faculties/Departments by decentralising the capturing of temporary- and claim appointments. It is envisaged that the process be done on a DIY or OA framework depending on available skills and technology.
- The temporary payment process will be implemented as a series of custom pages, which will be accessed via custom responsibilities on Oracle E-Business Suite (which could have a licencing impact) or DIY.
- The custom pages will be used to enter temporary employee and contract information into custom tables, pre-approval by the authorized final approver.
- Post approval standard Oracle API’s will be called to load employee and/or contract information onto the live HRMS/Payroll system.
- Validations must be built in on employee and contract information.
- A budget validation must also be built in on the contract information.
- It will be required that source documentation for each appointment can be attached for record and audit purposes – this could have an infrastructure implication?
The extension can be done with application extension like new custom OAF pages (this is common extension usually done by oracle)/DIY app technology usually done by NWU, custom workflow and custom responsibilities with custom menus and functions.
All faculties/departments must have access to the system.
Access must be controlled where a specific responsibility to execute appointment administration functions be allocated to identify individuals. All location will be affected by the implementation of the new online system.
All departments/faculties will have access to the functionality.
As mentioned above individuals will be identified in each department and responsibilities to execute the functions will be allocated to mitigate the risk that unauthorized individuals can execute appointment requests.
The system must able to create, update appointment without errors.
In terms of impact we need workshop with different stake holders to establish how much it will really take to develop the functionality; however, the need for it is imperative to ensure that temporary employees are remunerated.
The benefits of this functionality:
- After first capture there is no need to recapture employee biographical details, eliminates unnecessary paperwork;
- One consolidated IRP5 per tax year;
- Streamlined, real time, online approved, process to speed up the processing of claims.;
- Queries can be addressed at point where the input has been made;
- Reducing paper work, saving on manpower (within People and Culture), financial saving as well as lesser documents getting lost and not being processed.
APP GOAL 1.5 to sustain and provide professional services to the community whilst supporting and seeking opportunities to create third stream income for the university
APP GOAL 4.3 Provide access to cutting edge and relevant resources and services to fulfil academic expectations of its user communities in a professional, creative, and innovative manner. For the institution to achieve the above goals we require Human Resources. One of the critical enablers.
Overall Project Completion