The request was initiated by Adelle Lotter on 19 February 2018
There is a new version (3.3) of the integrated library system – Sierra – available which includes bug-fixes and enhancements on the current version we are running (3.1). According to the vendor we need to upgrade the OS of the servers before loading the new version – Cent OS 6/7 or Redhat 6/7 is required. It was recommended in ticket no 10189046 that the Library registers the request as a project for new VMs to be set up as an in-place upgrade may post more challenges (such as dependencies to be sorted out) than just a fresh install.
Overall Project Completion
1. Infrastructure Complete 100% Tasks 3 / 3
Finalizing server requirements, setting up the new environment, establish timelines
- See system architects
- Prepare new servers
- Inform vendor of intention to migrate/update - set date
2. Server setup, migration, testing Complete 100% Tasks 4 / 4
Completion date: 30 August 2018
Finalizing Sierra user side for the migration, final backups of data for recovery purposes shutting users out of the system for migration.
Quick post-migration testing of administration module.
- Prepare system for migration (Library side)
- Coordinate backups and downtime for migration
- Preliminary testing before switchover
- Switchover to new servers
3. Sierra upgrade Complete 0% Tasks 0 / 4
After migrating instance to new servers a date must be set to upgrade the software.
— issues installing / setting up backup client on new servers. Resolved 3 October.
- Set date for upgrade with vendor
- Communicate to staff and prepare system for upgrade
- Coordinate backups and upgrade
- Preliminary post-upgrade testing
4. Testing and project closure Complete 0% Tasks 0 / 2
Restoring all user access, fully testing functionality of various modules and closure.
- Thorough system testing (Library modules)
- Feedback to vendor and project closure